I love following great leaders in the coaching and training industry and when I find a good article by one of them, I like to share it with my tribe. The following is by Suzanne Evans, the “tell it like it is” no fluff boss of business building. She’s singing my song!
Are You Ready for a Speaking Gig?
“It’s no secret … speaking from the stage is one of the fastest way to massive, repeatable, consistent paydays. In fact, in my own business, speaking has generated the largest infusions of cash. Hands down. And its done it over and over again. We were just wrapping up our 2010 projections and as many of you know we soared past the million dollar mark, but here is the truly fascinating news: Over 75% of that revenue can be directly attributed to speaking and events.
To uncover this amazing goldmine didn’t happen overnight for me. In fact, I can remember my early gigs, speaking in front of handfuls of people, and thinking, “What the heck am I doing wrong?” IF I landed a speaking gig. Step one was the most difficult part.
So you have a choice. Develop slowly over time. Or jump to the head of the line. Instantly. Of course, faster is better. But how? I have a few ideas for you:
1) Don’t be picky to start. Land gigs for small groups and go local. Every single experience you have will matter. You will make connections, build exposure, and get more and more clear about your message.
2) Always sell something. Sometimes you will sell items that cost and sometimes they will be free. For instance — you might offer a CD or product for sale and take payments. Some organizations will ask that you don’t sell, but you will still sell. Give something away and collect names. In speaking you are always list building.
3) Get creative. I emailed friends, family, and colleagues with the requirement of introducing me to at least one person they knew that could get me in front of people at clubs, churches, schools, companies, etc. You would be surprised who your family knows.
4) Be good and get better! There is nothing worse than a bad speaker, so you have to practice and you must get feedback. HONEST feedback… that’s why speaking anywhere to start is key.
5) Find opportunities — collaborate with colleagues to see where you can join forces to put on your own speaking event.
Speaking is the ticket to building your list, your visibility, and your income. Grab the chance whenever you can and get your movement known!”
Need help getting ready for your next speaking gig? Contact Dinah@DinahSnow.com for a complimentary strategy session.
About the Author: Suzanne Evans owner and founder of Suzanne Evans Coaching, LLC, is the tell-it-like-it-is, no fluff boss of business building. She supports, coaches, and teaches over 30,000 women enrolled in her wealth and business building programs. Having surpassed the seven figure mark herself in just over three years, she’s coached her private clients to total revenues exceeding 8 million dollars. In 2011, she launched her Global Impact Project, a not for profit serving women worldwide in education, entrepreneurship, and equality. More About Suzanne